Maximising Storage In Small Kitchens: Renovation Tips
The kitchen is frequently the centre of the house, but in smaller homes, designing a stylish, functional space that maximises storage can be difficult. Planning a small kitchen renovation requires thinking of innovative storage options that make the most of every square inch of space. This blog will discuss ideas and strategies for making the most of storage space in small kitchens so you can design a room that is both functional and attractive.
Maximising Cabinet Space
Maximising cabinet space is a key factor in making the most of a small kitchen. There are many ways to increase cabinet storage, starting with choosing the right cabinets for your space. Tall cabinets can maximise storage by providing more vertical space while using pull-out shelves or drawers can help make the most of the cabinet’s depth.
You can also consider installing cabinets that go all the way up to the ceiling to make use of the otherwise wasted space. In addition, adding door-mounted shelves or hooks can provide additional storage for small items.
Utilising Wall Space
Utilising wall space is a smart and efficient way to maximise storage in small kitchens. You can install open shelves, cabinets, or even hanging racks to create additional storage space.
Open shelves can make a small kitchen feel larger while providing ample space to store plates, glasses, and other items. Cabinets on the walls can store spices, small appliances, and other kitchen essentials. Hanging racks can be used to hang pots, pans, and utensils, freeing up valuable cabinet and counter space. Additionally, you can use the wall space above your sink or stove to install a pot rack or a knife magnet to keep your tools within easy reach.
Creative Storage Solutions
Small kitchens can often feel cluttered and disorganised due to a lack of storage space. However, with some creative thinking and planning, you can make the most of your limited space and create a functional and organised kitchen. Here are some creative storage solutions to consider:
- Pull-Out Pantry: A pull-out pantry is an excellent space-saving solution for small kitchens. It’s a tall, narrow cabinet that can fit into a small space and provide ample storage for food and kitchen essentials.
- Open Shelving: Open shelves can be an excellent alternative to upper cabinets in a small kitchen. Not only do they provide storage space, but they also create an open and airy feel.
- Wall-Mounted Racks: Wall-mounted racks are a great way to store frequently used kitchen items such as pots, pans, and utensils. They are easy to install and can be placed in areas that are otherwise unused, such as above the sink or stove.
- Corner Cabinets: Corner cabinets can be difficult to access, but they offer valuable storage space. Consider installing a lazy Susan or pull-out shelves to make the most of this space.
- Magnetic Knife Strips: A magnetic knife strip is an excellent way to keep your knives within reach without taking up valuable counter space.
Downsizing And Simplifying
Downsizing and simplifying your kitchen items can also be an effective way to maximise storage in small kitchens. Take a look at your kitchen and assess which items you really need and use on a regular basis. If there are items that you haven’t used in a long time or that are taking up valuable space, consider donating or selling them.
You can also opt for multi-functional items such as a cutting board that can also be used as a serving tray or a pot that can also be used as a serving dish. Additionally, try to limit the number of small appliances on your countertop and opt for ones that can perform multiple tasks. For example, a blender that can be used as a food processor or a toaster oven that can be used for baking.
Finally, consider storing some of your less frequently used items in alternative locations such as a pantry or cupboard in another room. This can free up valuable space in your kitchen and help you to maximise storage in a small space.
Maximising storage in small kitchens is all about getting creative with the space you have available. By utilising cabinet space, wall space, and innovative storage solutions, you can create a functional and efficient kitchen that meets all of your needs. Remember to simplify and downsize where possible, to make the most of your limited space. If you’re ready to start your small kitchen renovation project, don’t hesitate to contact Let’s Talk Kitchens & Interiors for expert guidance and advice.
If you would like more information call Let’s Talk Kitchens & Interiors today at (03) 9068 5496 to speak with one of our qualified Interior Designers or book a consultation.